Why don’t more people go the extra mile?
When you’re in a service business as those in Real Estate are in, I would think that most of us would go the extra mile. I try to go the extra mile whenever I can yet I”m amazed at the number of people that I come across in my daily business dealings that do anything but go the extra mile. Sometimes I think they try very hard to make sure that they don’t go the extra mile. But why?
As many of us who participate in Short Sales understand, it’s all about going the extra mile as walls are constantly going up in front of us and if we didn’t go the extra mile we wouldn’t have much success in closing short sales. What floors me are some of the people that we encounter daily in our dealings with the Lenders, Associations, Attorney’s offices, Title Companies, etc that tend to spew out one way in which something is processed while putting on blinders to another possible solution. I guess they have holes in their running shoes!
Going the extra mile can be as simple or complex as:
- adding photos to a listing
- adding good photos to a listing
- returning phones on a timely basis
- doing something even when “it’s not your job”
- when you don’t know the answer, find out and don’t fudge your answer
- putting in the extra effort that could make a difference for another, imagine if you needed to be on the receiving end and needed somebody’s help
- being emphatic, as defined by Daniel Batson: A motivation oriented towards the other.
So the next time you’re considering whether or not you want to uncover a possible better solution, don’t ponder the idea…just do it!